Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pumpkin Chickpea Quinoa with Haricot Vert and Almonds


Oh hey, remember like half a year ago when I made my own pumpkin puree? And then I made mac n' cheese with it? Yep. Me too.

Well I froze a few large yogurt containers-worth of puree. I let one thaw out in the fridge over night yesterday. And today I added a bunch to some quinoa, along with some sauteed onions and haricot vert, chickpeas, and slivered almonds (I also added about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast for some hidden protein).

Yum.

(I'm sort of sick of quinoa, though)

I promise that I will bake you something soon.

I promise that in addition to a tray of garlic-y rosemary roasted potatoes and cauliflower I will soon give you fresh-baked cookies.


I promise that I'll stop posting about quinoa and find another grain to fall in love with (I have my eye on farro...).

Spare me, for now.


Pumpkin Chickpea Quinoa with Haricot Vert and Almonds

Serves 6 (?)

1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
1 small onion, sliced thin
large handful of haricot vert (green beans), cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup of pumpkin puree (or squash)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon cumin
salt, pepper
1 can garbanzo beans
1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
grated cheese (Pecornio or Parmesan)

1. Prepare your quinoa. Add 1 cup of dry quinoa and 2 cups water to a saucepan. Boil. Turn heat to low/simmer, cover, and leave it for about 15 minutes until done.

2. Saute your onion in olive oil until transluscent. Add the green beans and cook for about 4 more minutes. Add the pumpkin, nutritional yeast, cumin, salt, pepper. Add the cooked quinoa, garbanzo beans, almonds, and raisins. Grate cheese over the top.

7 comments:

  1. Delicious dish! So many flavours! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I went sort of wild with this one...a little of this and a little of that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie!!
    I couldn't find an actual e-mail address to use, so I'm leaving a site comment instead.
    I hope that's okay....will it help if I tell you you're AWEsOME!!!!
    Anywhoodle,
    My name is Drew and I’m from the Home and Family blogging network.
    I came across your blog and think you are a perfect fit for our recently launched blogging network!
    Our community of bloggers is a fantastic place to discover new blogs, share your own, and get a chance to interact with our top brands’ editorial, social and magazine teams.
    Feel free to take a poke around our site: www.homeandfamilynetwork.com and let me know what you think!!
    I should also note that you DON’T have to create brand new stuff to contribute to our site. Simply sharing what you’re already writing is PERFECT!
    Let me know if you have any questions, and in the meantime, we hope to see you around!
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Drew this sounds wonderful! I have been browsing your website all morning. Please email me: stephanielang155@gmail.com. I would love to be a part of this network.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walnuts compete with unhealthy fats and protect blood vessels and the heart Do you want to buy walnut online? You can order walnuts at Allnuts! We do not have to present walnuts to the average consumer. Almost everyone grew up with these brain-shaped fruits with a very recognizable shell. If you would ask most people which walnut trees they know, the walnut tree would certainly come first. For many consumers this note is also known as the walnut. Walnoten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hazelnuts ensure a healthy heart and limit cholesterol levels in the body. Do you want to buy hazelnuts online? You can order hazelnuts naturally with allnuts. Everyone knows the hazelnut. This nut grows on a shrub native to Belgium and the Netherlands that we know as the hazel. The well-known shrub is found in all areas with a temperate climate. Perhaps less well known is that, according to some scientists, the hazelnut is related to the birch. Others prefer to treat the hazel as a separate plant family. Whatever the case, the hazelnut is in any case a nut from us. Just like the birch, the hazel bears the characteristic catkins in the spring. Hazelnoten

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pistachio nuts are super tasty and are packed with proteins, healthy fats and minerals. Do you want to buy pistachio nuts online? You can order pistachio nuts at Allnuts! Everyone has of course heard of pistachio nuts. These nuts are the best known of the pistachio ice cream. In other cultures these nuts are then salted with the tea. The least you can say about pistachio nuts is that they are a versatile product. Pistachio nuts naturally have a greenish color and are wedged between two half-open shells. They look special that way. Pistachio nuts grow on a small tree that belongs to the wig tree family. The pistachio tree can reach a height of around 10 meters. This tree species has up to 1000 species of which the pistachio tree is only one. The cashmere tree from which we know the cashew nuts is also part of this botanical family. The pistachio tree is from Asia. The name pistachio itself also comes from Asia and more specifically from Farsi. Farsi is the language spoken in Iran. Pistachios are called 'pista' there. Although the trees are exotic, pistachio nuts are now also grown in Europe. Pistachio trees can also be planted in Europe and reach full growth. Pistachenoten

    ReplyDelete