Friday, October 23, 2009

Homemade English Muffins


I did it! I made English muffins from scratch!

They were even poofy and had the little holes in the center, just like the store-bought kind—but better of course! I think that I exclaimed, “Oh! These are soooo cute!” at least 10 times while I was making them.


I remember when I was in Elementary School, my mom would toast me an English muffin spread with butter before school. Oh memories...

What’s not to love about puffy, light, and fluffy English muffins?! Split in half, perfectly toasted, and spread with the topping of your choice (butter, jam, cheese, honey, peanut butter, lemon curd…), these griddle-cooked buns are just a dream!


One of the many perks of living in a house with sixty people is that we have access to a huge industrial kitchen complete with two ovens, six stovetop burners, and a large griddle. When I was ready to cook these little guys I just plopped them onto the hot griddle and bam! Done in just minutes!


Simple, on-hand ingredients and no kneading necessary! What more could I ask for?!

Check out the foamy yeast, water, sugar mixture! It's aliiiivvvvvveeee!


And here is the dough after the 40 minute rise!


Very sticky!


I made two versions of these English muffins—in one I used nonfat milk and the other batch I made vegan and used soymilk (both tasted great, I could barely tell the difference). If you want to get fancy you could mix in cinnamon and raisins, or maybe you are feeling festive and want to toss is some pumpkin puree!

As a nice finishing touch, you could dust the muffins with some cornmeal for added texture!


English Muffins
Adapted from BakingBites

Makes 10-12 muffins

1/3 cup water, warm (110F)
1 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup nonfat milk (or soymilk), slightly warm (100-110F)
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour

  • In a large bowl, whisk together water, sugar and yeast and let mixture stand for 10 minutes, until slightly foamy (my mixture got super foamy; it was totally awesome!).
  • Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining ingredients and mix until smooth (At this point, if you want, you can add in whatever mix-ins your heart desires--raisins, pumpkin puree, chocolate chips...).
  • Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 40 minutes.

  • Heat a griddle/nonstick frying pan over medium/medium-high heat (water dropped on the griddle evaporates very quickly). Lightly grease with cooking spray.
  • Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto greased surface and cook until medium brown on the bottom. The top with look set and the sides will appear somewhat dry. The exact time depends on the temperature of your griddle and the size of your muffins, but expect this to take several minutes. Flip over and cook 2nd side until brown.
  • Cool on wire rack for at least 15 minutes or until completely cool.
  • When ready to serve, split muffins with a fork and toast. Serve with butter, jam, or any topping of your choice.

1 comment: