Thursday, March 25, 2010

Soup's On: Easy Carrot Soup with a Dill n' Yogurt Swirl


Fun Fact: Cooked carrots supposedly provide more nutrients than raw carrots (credit: Natasha).

A few weekends ago, I was dining at Pizzaiolo Restaurant in Oakland and ordered a carrot soup. My goodness, this was the most perfect way to start my meal. This utterly irresistible bowl of soup arrived at the table and my only job was to eat, savor, enjoy. And that I did.

The soup had a tangy tone that took it to the next level. I later discovered the secret gem that made the soup so "tangy:" lemongrass. Oh, and the soup had this dilled yogurt sauce swirled into it, which provided a beautiful medley of color and flavor.

I've been dreaming about this soup ever since, and as I was flipping through Cooking Light Magazine the other day, I saw a recipe for a simple carrot soup that I just had to make. This soup is not only satisfying but is also very low in calories and fat (yay).

By the way, if you have not already seen this, you should check out thisiswhyyourefat! Delicious and totally gross.

Cooking Light's recipe uses a touch of sesame oil which "lends depth to this velvety soup". Joining the carrots are shallots and ginger, giving the soup a nice sweet and spicy punch.


The magazine pairs this soup as a part of an Easter brunch menu: carrot soup, Parmesan thyme rolls, champagne cocktails, asparagus and spring greens salad with Gorgonzola vinaigrette, and deviled eggs with smoked salmon.

I used dill instead of mint as my herb garnish, but any fresh herb should go nicely. I also chose to top my soup with some cubed avocado.


Carrot Soup with a Yogurt Swirl

Yield: (supposedly) 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup soup, 1 tablespoon yogurt, and 1 mint sprig)

***NOTE: This soup barely served 4 in my house

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
  • 1/3 cup sliced shallots (about 1 large)
  • 1 pound (baby) carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup 2% Greek-style plain yogurt
  • 8 fresh mint sprigs

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 2 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add carrots; cook 4 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 22 minutes or until tender. Add ginger; cook 8 minutes or until carrots are very tender. **NOTE: I had to add a LOT more broth than the recipe calls for. Cover and let stand 5 minutes at room temperature.

2. Pour half of carrot mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture. Return pureed soup to pan; heat over medium heat 2 minutes or until heated.

3. Spoon soup into small bowls, and top with plain yogurt and fresh mint sprigs.

Nutritional Information

Calories: 47
Fat: 1.6g (sat 0.4g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.5g)
Protein: 2.2g
Carbohydrate: 6.5g
Fiber: 1.7g
Cholesterol: 1mg
Iron: 0.6mg
Sodium: 163mg
Calcium: 36mg

2 comments:

  1. it's true it's true! but you forgot to mention that carrots are the ONLY vegetable that have more nutrients when cooked than when raw. badaboom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the carrot soup in CL mag as well and then had to return it to the library before I got the chance to copy it! Thanks for posting--looks great. I'm going to make it for sure..And if my husband doesn't want to share it with me, my 8 month old will :) Love your blog! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete