Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Quick Glimpse of Roma

Roma. Rome. Italy. I saw pretty much all of the touristy sites of Rome in just about 12 hours. 12 hours of non-stop walking, photo-snapping, historical site-seeing Italian craziness.

Ok so I was in Roma for more than 12 hours. I was there for about a day and a half, which really is not much. The first night I did a quick walking tour where I saw the Spanish steps, the Fontana di Trevi, the Pantheon, and some swanky chic shops amongst other famous Roman hallmarks. Oh yes, and there were people roasting chestnuts on the streets!


The next day began with a tour of the fascinating and huuuugeee Vatican City complete with St. Peter's Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, and quite possibly my favorite part...a statue of this lady, a woman of great fertility as symbolized by her many supple breasts:


With a full day still ahead of us, we stopped for a quick bite of lunch before moving on to more sites. A quick bite of cheap, good pizza to-go. I can't even remember the name of the place. You choose your flavor, and you pay by the weight. The Vatican took a lot out of me and I was super hungry so I ate 5 fairly large squares. I was full for hours and hours afterward.

Cheese with Prosciutto and Wilted Greens

Roasted Eggplant with Herbs


After lunch, it was off to the Colosseum, the Forum, and the Catacombs...Then, we browsed around one favorite places: the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, otherwise known as the "wedding cake." I think the reason I like it so much is because it is called the "wedding cake," and fittingly so, it really does look like a cake:


After a full day in the sweltering sun, it suddenly started to pour rain. Luckily my traveling companions and I ducked in to a quaint little restaurant at just the right time. We were seated outside under a covered awning, which was quite nice because we were sitting and we were dry and we could watch the rain trickle down all around us.

Bring on the drinks! Bright red Campari and Italian Prosecco took the edge off our sore bodies and set the mood for a lovely dinner.


I ordered a simple pasta dish--tonarelli shaped pasta with (mostly butter) black pepper and Pecorino Romano cheese.


Yeahhh baby!

One of my dining companions ordered another simple pasta dish...spaghetti pomodoro with fresh basil and a fried noodle on top. In case you haven't got the message yet, simple is the name of the game here.



So there you have it, a quick glimpse of Roma. Ciao tutti!


No comments:

Post a Comment