Thursday, December 3, 2009

Magnolia Bakery's Peanut Butter Cookies, Veganized


As a devout fan of Sex and the City, when I went to New York a few years ago, I signed myself up to go on the official Sex and the City tour of New York City. Yes, it was amazing, pretty much everything I could ask for.

A huge bus filled with crazy fans like myself. There were young women, grandmothers, sisters, best friends, even mom and kids, boyfriend and girlfriend, people visiting from all over the world.

We stopped at the Pleasure Chest where Charlotte bought her "rabbit," we drank cosmopolitans at a speak easy, we stopped by Miranda's gym, Samantha's place in the meat-packing district, the church where Miranda and Steve get married, the restaurant where Carrie went to meet Aidan's parents...

Two of my favorite stops were at 1. Carrie's stoop...


and 2. Magnolia Bakery.



Oh, the famous Magnolia Bakery. This is where the cupcake craze all began (at least in my book). Man oh man oh man. I want to go back there soooo bad! Let's go to NYC right now ok?

I must go back to this cute Greenwich Village bakery and try something other than their cupcakes! The quaint little store is just filled with glorious cakes and cookies and confections!

I made their peanut butter cookies for my house mates. I made them vegan. You do not need to make them vegan (just use real butter and a real egg). These peanut butter cookies are so good, and I ate so much batter it's ridiculous.

Chewy and peanut buttery with little surprises of cranberries and chocolate= LOVE!


I actually put whole peanuts in these cookies as well...next time I think I may omit them...they kind of just fell out and were not what I was looking for...

Another NYC hot spot that I have been dreaming about is Serendipity. Let's go get some $9 frozen hot chocolate, shall we?


Magnolia Bakery's Peanut Butter Cookies, veganized
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup earth balance butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature (smooth is what we used, but I am pretty sure they use chunky at the bakery)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 Ener-G egg replacer equivalent of an egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon soymilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips


For sprinkling: 1 tablespoon sugar, regular or superfine


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.


2. In a separate bowl, beat the earth balance butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the "egg" and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the cranberries and chocolate chips.


3. Place sprinkling sugar — the remaining tablespoon — on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets (I lined my sheets with parchment paper), leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crisss-cross pattern.



4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I want to go on the Sex and the City tour, too! I would love to go to the sex shop! These cookies look delicious, I love any kind of peanut butter cookie.

    ReplyDelete