Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nutella-Stuffed French Toast


Nutella-Stuffed French Toast. Do you see it? Do you see the oozing chocolate hazelnut spread? Do you see how perfectly golden the rustic Italian-style bread becomes when I dip it in an egg/milk/vanilla/cinnamon batter and cook it on the skillet? Do you see how the dusting of powdered sugar gives this 'twist on a classic breakfast' that finishing touch? People, this is Nutella-Stuffed French Toast. Can breakfast really get any better than this?


Nutella-Stuffed French Toast
inspired by World Nutella Day

-Bread (challah bread, sourdough, brioche, cinnamon raisin bread, regular sandwich bread...)
-Nutella
-Jam

-1 egg
-milk (I just eyeballed it, maybe it was about 1/2 to 3/4 cup?)
-a pinch of salt
-cinnamon
-a dash of vanilla

-butter or earth balance spread

-powdered sugar


1. Take one slice bread and spread it fairly generously with Nutella. Take the other slice of bread and spread with a thin layer of jam, I like to use raspberry jam. Press the two slices of bread together like a sandwich.

2. Using a fork, whisk together your egg, milk, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Dip your sandwich into the batter on both sides.

3. Heat a skillet and place a bit of butter in the pan. Fry your sandwich until gorgeous and golden on each side (aka about 1-2 minutes per side?).

4. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy with fresh fruit and a tall glass of milk (or milky coffee...yum!).

3 comments:

  1. /Drool

    YUM! I am definitely adding nutella to my french toast. Perhaps tomorrow morning! YES, I think this needs to be made and consumed tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great idea, I may have to indulge in day two of this stuff! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That french toast looks so awesome. I should buy myself a tub of nutella next time I am in the store. But I am pretty sure it would not last very long at all. So I will just stick to my jar of dark chocolate dreams peanut butter! (not much better, I know!)

    ReplyDelete