Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vegan Maple Walnut Muffins with Freshly Grated Nutmeg


It has been two days. I NEED to bake something.
I live in a co-op with about 15 other people. We usually have staples like bulk sugar and flour on hand.
For the past week, however, there have been no eggs or butter in the house.
While sipping some Prairie Passion tea, I was flipping through Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and stumbled upon this recipe.

These were intended to be cupcakes but they came out of the oven with a more muffin-like texture.

The recipe calls for maple extract, but I decided to experiment and instead I added a few drops of almond and chocolate extracts. Be careful, a few drops of almond go a LONG way.


I was supposed to candy the walnuts but rather than bother with the sugaring process, I simply toasted them and folded them into the batter. One of my favorite pastimes is picking out the nuts or the raisins or the olives in bread or baked goods. People tell me, “If you like the nuts so much why don’t you just snack on plain nuts?” No, this won’t do—they just taste so much better when I pick them out!

A fellow co-op resident tasted my “experiment” and gave it two thumbs way up. He said that taste-wise these muffins reminded him pancakes. And he couldn’t believe they were vegan, too!
I like this recipe because it just has on-hand ingredients. No funky margarines or substitutes. Cheers to the good life!

Ingredients
½ cup soymilk (I used Silk Vanilla, mmm)
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (use a microplane to grate)
½ cup maple syrup
1/3 cup oil (canola, preferably but I used olive because it was all the co-op had)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 ¼ teaspoon maple extract (I used a few drops of almond and chocolate instead)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup of chopped and toasted walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350° F and either line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or lightly grease the pan.
2. Whisk together soymilk and vinegar in a large bowl; set aside and allow it to curdle for a few minutes. (This is supposed develop a similar consistency to buttermilk)
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg into a separate bowl.
4. Whisk the maple syrup, oil, brown sugar, and extracts into the soymilk mixture.
5. Form a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients, stirring until smoothe.
6. Fold in chopped nuts.
7. Fill liners 2/3 of the way. Bake for 20-22 minutes.
8. Enjoy! Mmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment