Saturday, October 3, 2009

Lindsey Shere's "Chez Panisse Almond Tart," Tasted at Pizzaiolo Restaurant


I should be studying. Biochemistry.

Instead I sit, fantasizing about this almond tart.

I have been thinking about making this tart for a long time, using Chez Panisse co-founder and former executive pastry chef Lindsey Shere's recipe. Many restaurants have used her recipe--Oliveto and Pizzaiolo (both in Oakland, CA) to name a few.

You can make this as a tart or turn the recipe into a Christmas bar cookie and add dried cherries, chocolate chips, ... you name it!

I tasted this tart for the first time today at Pizzaiolo and have not stopped thinking about it since. The texture of slivered almonds is so wonderful! The flavor of the tart takes the almond-y-ness and enhances it with a caramel-like mixture of cream and sugar. Yes! Life is good. I take a bite and just let the magical pastry lie on my tongue. Everything stops for this fleeting moment of pure bliss.


Did I mention how much I LOOOVEE slivered almonds? Arranged in layers all atop the buttery crust, I like to pick off each nut sliver one by one. Ahhh, don't you just want to reach for the computer screen pick off an almond sliver?! Gah!



To find the recipe for Lindsey Shere's Almond Tart, purchase Chez Panisse Desserts or check out David Lebovitz's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment