Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Countryside of Germany: St. Goar and the Rhine Valley River



I was in Germany for a little over 24 hours. Probably not the typical Germany that you think of when you imagine the big cities of Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich...I was in St. Goar and the Rhine Valley River areas. Home of the largest hanging (free-standing) cuckoo clock.


The Rhine Valley River town is very tiny and quaint, with a street that is filled with restaurants, beer stein shops, the cuckoo clock shop, and the Birkenstock store.

In front of the beer stein shop

Taking a mini cruise along the river showcases the beautiful castles in the hills of Germany. It is really amazing to see all of the castles built right into the mountains:


So, what is German cuisine like?

Dense Dark Whole Grain Breads

Streusels and Strudels and Pretzel Bread

This little custard fruit tart business

Germany is also known for its 1200 types of sausage, 1500 kinds of beer (served in steins, in liters), sauerkraut, dumplings, pork knuckles, and Fanta Orange (Brazil is the #1 consumer).

In the village of St. Goar, I stayed in a family-owned hotel in the midst of a residential area in the hills. One man showed my entire group of 50 people to each of our rooms, he cooked, and he cleared our plates. After dinner, my group and I went on a wine tasting in an underground cellar where I was able to taste the famous Riesling wines of Germany. I tasted a red, a rose, a white Riesling (my favorite), a sweet white, and an ice wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment