Thursday, August 5, 2010

Savory Summer Galette



Remember the blueberry and summer peach galette that I made last week? The recipe makes enough dough for 2 tarts, and since the dough is not sweet, it can be used for either (or in my case, both) sweet and savory tarts. When I was making my fruit tart, I stuck the other dough in the freezer for later use.

I used the second dough to make a savory galette, my filling consisting of pretty much whatever ingredients I had on-hand at the time at home. After rolling out my dough, I spread a thin layer of olive tapenade along the bottom. Then I chopped some red and yellow cherry tomatoes from the garden in half and added a touch of salt and pepper.


My next layer was tiny chopped pieces of zucchini, followed by some Parmesan cheese slivers and feta cheese cubes. I piled everything in the middle of my dough and drizzled a touch of olive oil on top for a nice finish.


This is like a pizza pie...but better (well, different...!).


You can use any vegetable or filling idea that you want! Try experimenting with different cheeses i.e. ricotta, a smoky gouda, soft goat cheese, a rich brie...Try caramelizing onions and adding walnuts and lemon zest. Maybe do a fig and honey galette. Or potato, fontina, pancetta, and rosemary. Yes, herbs! Basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley. Crack an egg of the whole thing and bake it up! Oo la la, the possibilities are endless.


Savory Summer (or whatever season it happens to be...) Galette

For the dough:
Use your dough from this recipe

Filling:
(note: measurements are just estimated here...cook with your gut)
-2 tablespoons olive tapenade
-2 cups of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
-1 small zucchini, roughly chopped into tiny pieces
-salt and pepper
-3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
-4 oz. feta cheese, cubed
-extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
-1 egg, lightly beaten

Let the dough warm up at room temperature for 15 minutes or so and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a rough circle about 12 inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the pastry to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate while preparing the filling.

Prep all of your veggies and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and spread the middle with the olive tapenade, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border around the circumference of the dough. Pile your tomatoes and zucchini in the center on top of the olive tapenade. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and then the feta cheese on top. Drizzle a little olive oil over the filling.

Fold the dough over up over the filling, and brush the rim of the dough lightly with beaten egg.

Bake in the lower part of the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the cheese is lightly browned and the pastry is golden brown and slightly caramelized at the edges. Slide the tart off the pan to cool on a rack. Slice and serve!


1 comment:

  1. This looks fantastic. I think I may have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete